Cambodia's tourism bounces back by 125% in 2022's Q1
Amid restrictions being lifted and lessened in Cambodia, a good sign for the entire country was apparent: tourism picking back up quickly within a few months. In only the first few months of 2022, the Ministry of Tourism (MoT) in the country reported a 125% increase in international tourists. Specifically, there were 159,546 visitors from numerous countries in the first quarter alone.
These tourists were mainly from the following countries:
- Vietnam → 46,303 visitors came from Vietnam, increasing the tourists that come from there annually by 1,188.9%
- Thailand → 39,615 visitors came from Thailand, increasing the tourists that come from there annually by 12.2%
- China → 9,753 visitors came from China. Based on annual Cambodian tourists from China, their number decreased by 59.1% due to restrictions there
- US → 8,820 visitors came from US, increasing the tourists that come from there annually by 876.7%
- Indonesia → 8,578 visitors came from Indonesia, increasing the tourists that come from there annually by 268%
According to the report released by MoT, these tourists arrived in Cambodia via air, land, or water. However, air travel to visit the country is popular since a recorded number of 86,976 tourists arrived using any of the three international airports. This is a 159.4% increase from the previous year regarding tourists’ preferred mode of transportation to the country.
On the other hand, 72,570 tourists were recorded to have visited Cambodia either by land or water. This is a 94.2% increase compared to the previous year.
Cambodia is one of the best countries to visit for those who want to explore historical sights as well as have fun discovering busy cities. Besides this, Cambodia has relaxed travel conditions including that they allow unvaccinated tourists to visit with only 7 days of quarantine.
So once you’re in the country, vaccinated or unvaccinated, you have a lot of things you can do! At the top of the bucket list should be visiting Angkor Wat, a World Heritage site that has recorded over 33,205 international visitors in the first quarter alone of 2022. See the wonders of Cambodia fully now when you visit!